Tuesday, October 9, 2007

What triggers the "buy decision"?

Are your reasons objective or subjective?

From the National Institute of Business Management

Following is a list of 20 basic reasons-10 objective and 10 subjective-that motivate people to buy. Remember that many buying decisions are a combination of objective and subjective factors. Remember, too, that while the subjective reasons are often more powerful motivators than the objective ones, they are less likely to be revealed. You must watch the prospect's reactions carefully and probe subtly for subjective motivators if you hope to close your sale with them.

Objective (logical) reasons

· It's affordable. It won't put a dent in my budget.
· It will make money.
· It will save money.
· It will save work, time or space.
· It's available and can be installed -or implemented-immediately.
· It will do a job that needs doing or improve a job that needs improving.
· It has a good performance record.
· It will last a long time. It's well built and durable.
· It's fast. It will increase production.
· It's easy to operate, easy to start up or install and easy to service.

Subject (emotional) reasons

· It's unique. I've never seen anything like it before.
· It's used by people I respect.
· Having it could make me smarter, healthier or more successful.
· I'll feel proud to own it.
· It looks good. I like the color or design.
· It will make me look good to others.
· It will mark me as an innovator. No one else has it.
· I'm afraid to do without it. Everyone else has it.
· This is a convenient/opportune time to buy.
· It will be fun to own it. So why not make myself feel good and just buy it?

My Thoughts:

Emotion Trumps Intellect

"Win the hearts of the people and their minds will follow." ---Roy H. Williams

We are my nature emotional creatures and make all of our decisions from the gut. No matter how much intellectual data you pile on, your customer will eventually make the decision intuitively.

"Win the hearts of the people and their money, time and votes will follow." ---me

No comments: