Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Wedding Night Bliss-ter

Max Lucado tells of a honeymoon disaster in his book When God Whispers Your Name.

The newlyweds arrive at the hotel in the wee hours with high hopes. Over the internet they had reserved a large room with all of the romantic amenities. That’s not what they found. The room was pretty skimpy. It had no view, no flowers, a tiny bathroom and worst of all, no bed. Just a fold-out sofa with a lumpy mattress and sagging springs. It was not what they had hoped for and what was left of the magic night was passionless.

The next morning the sore-necked groom stormed down to the manager’s desk and ventilated his anger. After listening to the gnashing of teeth for several minutes, the clerk asked, “Did you open the door in your room?”

The groom admitted he hadn’t. He stomped back to the room and opened the door he had assumed was a closet.

There to his bittersweet amazement, on the other side of the threshold, complete with sweet smelling roses, a giant fruit basket, a Champaign bottle resting in a stainless steel bucket of water, a giant box of chocolates, was a spacious bedroom!

You can see the weary couple standing in the doorway of the room they had overlooked.

It would have been so nice…
A comfortable bed instead of a clumpy sofa.
A framed window of the ocean and harbor lights instead of a blank wall.
A fresh breeze coming from the screens of the balcony in place of stuffy air.
An elaborate restroom and giant Jacuzzi instead of a tight toilet.

They missed it. How sad. Cramped and cranky, when utter bliss was unlocked door away. Why didn’t they look in side the “closet”?

I have noticed a lot whining and complaining going on in my house lately. I finally had enough of it. I apologized to my wife and put some tape over my mouth.

I am where I am because of the decisions I made yesterday. Tomorrow I will be where the decisions I make today take me.

How about you? Do need to apologize to some people, put some duck tape over your mouth and start kicking some doors open?


Just a thought…

No comments: